Reflections from Font

Re: Reflections from Font

Postby toivo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm

never heard of a 'stere' before. we laid up 8 cords last winter and ran out, having to cut down standing dead ash trees in the backyard to heat the cabin. this year we got 10 cords into the woodshed and that may run out too.it is a kind of desperate feeling to start running out of firewood midwinter

there is no beating a good stove that gets double combustion, burning the smoke before it goes up the chimney. we've got a mason stove, so an insert and a stone and masonry fireplace in the middle of the house, with its own foundation, that takes a couple of days to heat up, but is very even heat when it does. the fire burns all night when it is shut down, no need for matches in the morning.

with the guest house and sauna, 3 fires can take up most of one's day keeping them burning. when the snow is gone come may it is nice to nap on the bare ground in the sun, not having to move so much to stay warm.
toivo
Corundum

Postby Lox » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:30 pm

That's some Sting level tantric fireplace shit. I stoke it up quick on a Saturday evening, poke it a few times to keep it going until I'm sleepy and then good until the next weekend.

REPRAZENT.

Also a stère is a cubic meter of wood. Surprised with the language sharing you never heard of it - Le stère est une unité de mesure de volume, valant un mètre cube, utilisée pour mesurer les volumes de stockage de bois de chauffage ou de charpente.
Lox
Diamond

Postby RockPharmer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Lox wrote:I stoke it up quick on a Saturday evening, poke it a few times to keep it going until I'm sleepy and then good until the next weekend.

My college days in a nutshell
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby Lox » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Coulda been worse... your college days coulda been defined by a 'cubic meter of wood'.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo
Lox
Diamond

Postby toivo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:06 pm

...and that's why one should sustain some suspicion about metric measures. imperialism and the neglect of higher studies.

seriously, a stove with double combustion is transformative. it burns all of it.

just out of the sauna now. Harvia stove. highly recommended.iI've sat in the family and friend's saunas with homemade stoves, buckets of rocks and water welded here and there, and this one is better. try it if you get a chance.
toivo
Corundum

Previous

Return to Bouldering