How many years has it been?

How many years has it been?

Postby FreeHueco » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Since you sent your "hardest" pebble?
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K!
FreeHueco
Corundum

Re: How many years has it been?

Postby FreeHueco » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 am

That's not so bad... It's been 16+ years for me since I sent my two hardest problems on April 14, 2001. I trashed my hand in a bouldering fall not long after that while crushing choss in Berkeley.
FreeHueco
Corundum

Postby FreeHueco » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 am

mountainz wrote:maybe someday you'll make it back to V4.

never trust cali choss.

No doubt... I'm actually on the verge of getting back to where I was back in the day. With an infant, I don't get to bolder outside all that often, but I've got a few projects lined up. At least I got to lead a 5.6 on Saturday.
FreeHueco
Corundum

Postby pmahnn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm

2003?

Ages.
pmahnn
Diamond

Postby FreeHueco » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

My biggest problem right now is committing to the topouts. Even flat padded landings suck from 15+ feet these days.

Maybe I'll have better luck with sprot climbing?
FreeHueco
Corundum

Postby jlane » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm

FreeHueco wrote:That's not so bad... It's been 16+ years for me since I sent my two hardest problems on April 14, 2001. I trashed my hand in a bouldering fall not long after that while crushing choss in Berkeley.

Indian Rock? Was working on a project in downtown SF about 10 years ago and was sick of going to Mission Cliffs and walking thru the meth zombie zone from the BART station to the gym, so went across the bay a few times to climb at Indian Rock. Last time I was there I was doing a circuit session early evening on a drizzly, high humidity day. On my 3rd or fourth lap of center overhang (AZ V2 / Calisoft V 3/4) I greased off the top-out and landed awkwardly (no pad), throwing out my lower back and smashing my knee into my face which eventually led me to losing a tooth. As the sun set, I laid in the dirt and tree bark, most likely concussed, next to some random trash, empty 40's, used condoms, and discarded syringes wondering how in the hell was I going to get back to the bus stop, to get to the train stop to get back on the right side of the bay. Never went back. I'd probably hit it up if it was in my neighborhood or actual backyard but it sucks and isn't worth any sort of trip.
jlane
Corundum

Postby FreeHueco » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 am

jlane wrote:
FreeHueco wrote:That's not so bad... It's been 16+ years for me since I sent my two hardest problems on April 14, 2001. I trashed my hand in a bouldering fall not long after that while crushing choss in Berkeley.

Indian Rock? Was working on a project in downtown SF about 10 years ago and was sick of going to Mission Cliffs and walking thru the meth zombie zone from the BART station to the gym, so went across the bay a few times to climb at Indian Rock. Last time I was there I was doing a circuit session early evening on a drizzly, high humidity day. On my 3rd or fourth lap of center overhang (AZ V2 / Calisoft V 3/4) I greased off the top-out and landed awkwardly (no pad), throwing out my lower back and smashing my knee into my face which eventually led me to losing a tooth. As the sun set, I laid in the dirt and tree bark, most likely concussed, next to some random trash, empty 40's, used condoms, and discarded syringes wondering how in the hell was I going to get back to the bus stop, to get to the train stop to get back on the right side of the bay. Never went back. I'd probably hit it up if it was in my neighborhood or actual backyard but it sucks and isn't worth any sort of trip.

It was at Stone Face, which as I recall was in a marginally better 'hood than Indian Rock. Neither are places I would intentionally go to climb these days. Back then, it was only a 40 minute drive, and sort of worth the diversion. I was doing the sit start to a cruddy V2 when one of the start holds broke, sending me flying backwards. My spotter did his job and kept my head off the ground, but I landed with my left thumb bent awkwardly under my hip.
FreeHueco
Corundum

Postby joules » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Almost 12. Rock climbing is stupid.
joules
Corundum

Postby Lox » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Its ratings that are stupid. Climbing is beautiful.

When I ascend Cortomaltese at Bas Cuvier, it will be the hardest thing I have ever done. God I hate that thing. Go watch videos and laugh at me because of how simple it seems. Frikkin impossible.
Lox
Diamond

Postby toivo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm

the hardest thing i'm doing is whatever i'm doing right now, because i haven't done it yet. at present, because it is winter here, that means laps on the dog house 45. more laps, more hard.
toivo
Corundum

Postby jlane » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Lox wrote:Its ratings that are stupid. Climbing is beautiful.

When I ascend Cortomaltese at Bas Cuvier, it will be the hardest thing I have ever done. God I hate that thing. Go watch videos and laugh at me because of how simple it seems. Frikkin impossible.

Where are you falling? Barn door going to the high hold? Matching on that high hold and greasing trying to move the feet? It actually looks fairly hard to me in the videos - balance, compression, rotational core, and open hand grip. But the grade doesn't sound impossible? Kind of looks like Wifebeater with better feet... I believe in you, brother. Allez!
jlane
Corundum

Postby Betty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:05 pm

About 15 years probably since my max in bouldering. About 2 months since my max in climbing. That big wall crap worked me harder than I could ever push my ankles, knees and hips when bouldering.
Betty
Topaz

Postby Lox » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:51 pm

jlane wrote: I believe in you, brother. Allez!

Thanks man... the struggle is real.

I am falling going to the high hold. It it just awkward for me and I don't fit with either of the 2 standard betas. Getting my left foot to the higher hold like this guy pushes me out. And leaving my foot low should work, but it's like my shoulders are too big and pull me out from the wall when I hit the low sloper on the high hold. That sloper is terrible btw. Up higher its deeper.

For the grade, it shouldn't be an issue for me. For the style, I have to try it a few more times until I learn that subtle business fo real.

Found this looking at Bas Cuvier vids... why you postin this girls b-hole boldering vid to the youtubes man cmon.

Lox
Diamond

Return to Bouldering