mechanical keyboards

mechanical keyboards

Postby Lox » Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 am

I am thinking of going full hipster on a 60% mechanical. Anyone else down this rabbit hole?
Lox
Diamond

Re: mechanical keyboards

Postby toivo » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 pm

full key strokes plz! let's exercise our fingers. even if the skin gets pale, we can exercise our fingers like sun deprived gerbils running wheels into the sunset.
toivo
Corundum

Postby Lox » Thu May 12, 2016 1:41 pm

mountainz wrote:been watching the thrift stores like a hawk for a usable one.

You could get in on this massdrop.

I am still deciding. Basically a Pok3r without the name. The $12 shipping to Germany is enticing, although amazon.de has Pok3rs in UK ISO or American International ANSI for 140‎€. However, I want the customization levels that wasdkeyboards.com does. And once you buy a full keycap set you have spent as much as you would buying from them anyway.

ASDF.

clack-clack-clack-clack
Lox
Diamond

Postby skav » Mon May 16, 2016 11:57 am

The Corsair mechanical keyboards don't suck but are $$$

I've never seen a good one for cheap.
skav
Diamond

Postby RockPharmer » Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Is this shit for real real?
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby Lox » Thu May 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Get funky.

Lox
Diamond

Postby skav » Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 pm

The lack of texture on the home keys is exciting. Type dangerously.
skav
Diamond

Postby Cardboard_Dog » Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 am

So many mistakes waiting to happen. At least they left the Back key as is. If this is what it takes to be cool ... I don't think I want to be cool anymore.
Cardboard_Dog
Corundum

Postby Lox » Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 pm

I thought I didn't touch type and then I wore away most of the letters on my keycaps.

Interesting enough, I still want a US international layout with blanked out modifiers.

AM I TOO HIP FOR MY OWN GOOD?!!!?
Lox
Diamond

Postby Cardboard_Dog » Tue May 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Of course ?? I just saw an ad on Craigslist for a gamer PC for 1000$ and for an extra 350$ he will throw in the mechanical keyboard .. Forgot to take note what model, but obviously, they are no joke ..
Cardboard_Dog
Corundum

Postby Lox » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Probably some rare leopold shit with a couple keycap sets thrown in. That shit holds value.

That being said... I had TWO glasses of wine last night and got the Pok3r with Cherry browns. Will update with pics when 0friction comes back online. I hear good things about the PBT caps and probably need the stock caps to learn the fn/pn shit until I am fast as hell and can blank out. But... I honestly don't know what is worse, my desire to geek out on a keyboard or the fact that two glasses of wine are enough to get me to drop like 150 euro on a keyboard.

I keep telling myself it is like a mattress. You spend time there. You need it to be a 'swole space'.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 pm

This is the first thing I am typing on it... smooooooooooooth.

But now the kid is asleep so I have to type so lightly so no clacks. lulzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Edit: And now the imgur fagz are calling my beer 'jew beer'. wtf. http://imgur.com/gallery/PwSej
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 pm

I can program up to 36 keystrokes into macros, which almost gives me enough decimal points to quantify sends to the precise levels I am up to now. The real question is when will 8a.nu move past the slash grade and give us true deep decimal grades that the community desperately deserves?
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Also my jew beer is fucking delicious. Fuck yes Jever.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 pm

And now I already want to drop almost as much as the board cost on a set of keycaps that match my organization's colors plus a 1337 pack of sweet keys to add personalization.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mito-dsa-sci-fi

DSASDF.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm

So those keys dropped in price to the point where I picked them up for like the cost of 1.5 dinners out considering the exchange rate. Do NOT tell my wife. They ship long after she will have remembered me talking about them.

Now to learn how to program layers so when they come I can move off these kiddee keyz...
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Ok so to continue this conversation I am having by myself...

After three months on the Pok3r, I have to say that it is pretty incredible. I write for a living and this keyboard has changed my entire work reality. Yes, the mx cherry browns are so smooth and my hands hurt less. Yes, the lack of a ten-key pad means I move my wrist less to get to the mouse. But the real kicker is the fuckin programmability. Now, the words I write over and over and over again I just have programmed in. I hit Fn-S to type "sustainable development". I combine this with Word macros for even more speed in the word processor. It is glorious.

Anyway. I'm typing this on a laptop keyboard and hating every tap. Next up is something like this https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kc71-rgb-b ... l-keyboard for the home, although I will have to see which switches are quiet enough to let the small child sleep.

Will post pics when my new caps come. And then maybe more when the custom caps arrive lol.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

OTG cable and I can work while traveling with just a phone and keyboard.

#gamechanger
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:52 am

Well, what all the hardcore guys recommend is that you buy a switch tester, which is a little box that holds 1 of each of the 6-8 switches that you are looking at. But... that was too spendy for me to then spend on a board, plus nobody got time for that.

So I looked at this:

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.ph ... -switches/

And then I thought about what I would use the keyboard for. 90% typing and 10% gaming. And I have a small kid so I can't have too loud of a board. This meant I would probably want either browns or clears, as they are tactile non-clicky switches. Browns have a fairly light actuation force (45cN) and I wasn't wearing out my Dell rubber dome board by typing too crazyhard on it. Clears would be a bit stiffer option (60 cN). So I went with browns and they are silky smooth and I really like the feel. If I never wanted to game, blues at (50cN) would probably be a better, louder option. And then there are all these other switches - gaterons, zealios, etc. But if you figure out what you want out of cherry switches, you can just find the equivalent weight or close to it.

Join the club. This thread needs more peeps. Massdrop has some real cheap boards. Also some real expensive ones.
Lox
Diamond

Postby skav » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:55 pm

How much are you into this thing for?

Have you paired it with a dopeass mouse?

Whachu playing?
skav
Diamond

Next

Return to Bouldering