Topaz

Re: This thread is about bikes

Postby stonefiend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 am

Is that you homie?
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby leaverbiner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 pm

'12 Cannondale CAAD 10, Shimano Ultegra components package v. '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, SRAM Rival component pakage.

I can get both for almost the exact same price - thoughts, comments ?
leaverbiner
Corundum

Postby RockPharmer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Ya ain't gonna bunny hop either of 'em.
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby JakeDatc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Sure he can.. i bunny hop pot holes on our shit for RI roads all the time.

Have you ridden SRAM before? you might test ride them both and see if you like the double tap shifting or not. (i find the upshifts to be awesome but the long throw for the downshifts takes getting used to. I stuck with Shimano.) Ultegra is slightly higher up than Rival but the '13 frame might be a bit better. toss up.
JakeDatc
Apatite

Postby Lox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

slam that stem
Lox
Diamond

Postby slim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I just got a bike. A BIKE WITH A MOTOR! Braaaaap!!
slim
Diamond

Postby Lox » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 am

Invalid without pics.

Or at least some more details.
Lox
Diamond

Postby slim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 pm

I bought a DRZ400!!

That's the fucking deal. Sure I'll post pics some time!
slim
Diamond

Postby Lox » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

Please do. I miss my dirtbike terribly and must live vicariously through others.
Lox
Diamond

Postby stonefiend » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Man. SURLY came out with a fresh new set.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes

I've ridden the cross-check and pugsley... currently own a steel/carbon track bike, but with 2mm clearance between my fork and 25c tires, the wheels sieze up in deep snow and I have to carry the bitch.

Most of my riding is on pavement, but we do get snow about once a week in winter. Avoiding the car option, as Boulder is small.

I'm trying to choose between the straggler (cross-check w/ discs), or the ECR (full zombie apocalypse bike). If I get the straggler, I'll ditch the track bike, and if I get the ECR, I'll keep it (jamis sputnik).
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby toivo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

keep the bicycles... the apocalypse cruiser is its own thing. the cyclo thing there looks quite functional, but i'd say not so much so as to trade a track bike for it.

how did you find that pugsley stonefiend? what surfaces did you ride it on? did those feel like good sized tires, or would you see any sense in bigger?

i have presently ditched the pedals for a kick bike, all up and down the woods towed by the dogs, little maniacs at the end of a rope.
toivo
Corundum

Postby stonefiend » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Man. The Pugsley was fun! I rode it into curbs, through potholes and pits of golfball sized rocks. It's like balloon-suspension. Slow, but fun.

I tried a Santa Cruz Highball 29er today and didn't like it. It felt kind of dead.

I can't order the new Surly bikes yet. It's interesting that they release their bikes on the website before it's available to order. I may order an Ogre and run slicks on it in summer.

The track bike is a great pointAtoB bike, but it's big as hell for me (59cm) so I'll probably ditch it come spring when the freshmen start shopping. I'll miss the way the thing corners though. Tired of having to take several trips to get groceries.

Cross bikes are still in the running...
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby toivo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:01 pm

the cross bikes are super to ride everyday- i've been on my mountain bike so little since getting that- ride to the trails, ride all the fireroad fast, work the transitions through technical stuff, and hop back on. a buddy did well in an enduro off road race on some really rough atv trails with a cyclocross, running to give himself a break. they are supremely practical bikes for sure.

from there though, i do like the idea of riding everything... the fat boy wheel sets are becoming a thing up here, and for snow...

so many options. the kick bike is a promising euro import. low clearance, but set up for rail slides if someone wanted to get daring with it. it feels pleasant somehow to stand on your bike instead of sitting. and easy just to step off and ghost ride it into peril if that comes up...
toivo
Corundum

Postby stonefiend » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Yo Tivo!! That video had me crackin' up mang! Looks fun as hell. I'm going to go crazy and put a XC suspension fork on a cross-check. I can run 2.3's on that frame. Run studded in winter. Dust over ice almost busted my pelvis last year.
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby toivo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

oh man stonefiend, skiff of snow on the ice. gotto watch your pelvis doesn't bust!

first freeze and snow here today in Calander, northern ONtario. conditions change so rapidly! biggest point of interest for me actually is just feeling the changing conditions of the ground by rolling over it.
toivo
Corundum

Postby stonefiend » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 am

Finally got my winter commuter after a year of searching. I figured something that would double as a summer roadie could be a good choice. I carry a bag on commutes, and got a QR seatpost rack for whatever I may need it for. Fenders? I'm already wearing rain-gear if it's wet... Also have a beavertail.

2012 Specialized Crux Disc. Not a bad ride for $500. White Industries Hubs with rear eccentric, and freewheel (REEEEEEEEE!!!), laced to pos mtb rims for winter.

Summer will go geared with a 105 group and some light disc wheelsets. Psyched!
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby Lox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:43 pm

I think fenders are a must. There is just too much positive that comes from keeping the wet from spraying up.

I never felt that way until I moved to Germany and fucking northern Europe is always going to rain when you don't want it or least expected it. I'm looking at getting the full winter garb and a light set since my commute to and from work will be in the dark. Sheisse.

Toivo sounds like he's a little further north than I am, and I have a newfound respect for those who live in these shite climes.

At least the flight to Mallorca only takes a couple hours. asdf.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Current urban daily ride is a mid-90s, all-rigid Checker Pig with some sweet Deore LX throughout. German mechanics keeping that shit smooth, all these years later.

Can't go drop coin on a Bulls or Radon and get that shit stole, yo...
Lox
Diamond

Postby stonefiend » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 am

I'll be running 700x35c studded tires. With fenders the snow would cake up in there and seize up the wheel. I had to carry my track bike so many times last year due to wheel seizures. Now I'll be SS with discs by winter on a junk wheelset and will invest in some Stan's tubeless wheels laced to hope hubs and a 105 group come spring. Should get her down to 17lbs. Group rides, cross races, commuting... all good. Beavertail seatpost fender is fine.
stonefiend
Corundum

PreviousNext

Return to Bouldering