Night Missions

Re: Night Missions

Postby Lox » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:33 pm

For roofs, the ideal setup would be three small lights, wired with about 6 - 8 feet of wire b etween each one. Each light in it's own little "bullet" with a diffuser dome pointing up and the base resting on the ground. 3 or 4 of these in a "snake" could be laid on the ground under the roof, each one illuminating part of the path. I feel this would be better than 3 lights under 1 dome, which is essentially a lantern without the light limitation of a cap.

And of course, props to you elblat... for doing something weird and awesome in your spare time.
Lox
Diamond

Postby skav » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I was talking individual light units with their own power supplies. Avoids the annoyance of wires and makes the setup more versatile. Use as few or as many as needed in whatever arrangement you like. Each unit would be ~15cm long and 8cm wide. Just mounting the brackets to the casing with the current setup would probably work as well, I'm just assuming a high dome would be more useful if the lit surface is only a few feet away. Something like that would also be really nice for camping/backpacking.

Hmmmmmm. Where's my soldering iron?
skav
Diamond

Postby Lox » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm

You could just modify the existing setup into a dual light with those bullets and it would be the same setup with a different base. 2 smaller 2-light "snakes" would be the same as a 4-light.

It seems like the battery pack thing is too bulky to just run 1 small light.
Lox
Diamond

Postby elblat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:05 pm

I could just use the existing setup, laid flat on the ground with a diffuser on each light. Since you don't need as much output, and the lights are durable enough to be stepped on and about 3" thick. You just keep the legs folded, deploy the light heads and you're bouldering. The 40 degree angle of the lens is the half-angle beam, so you get a good 80 degree main beam and 120 degree usable.

Also, the light heads are infinitely aim-able, so you could just point them up and put a plastic keg-beer cup over each.
elblat
Diamond

Postby Lox » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Sell that shit to Black Diamond.
Lox
Diamond

Previous

Return to Bouldering