Climbing Fucking Season

Re: Climbing Fucking Season

Postby Lox » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Sort of... more like the position you describe but using the negative resistance of the hammer to rotate the head from straight up to the side, then use your other hand to pick it back up. Seems to work ok, but I still get a little sore in my elbows when I climb. adsf.
Lox
Diamond

Postby 600#gorilla » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

so - do you use the miracle shit on a daily basis, or just when the tendons are really acting up?

also, what about those handsome forearm cuff things that some folks wear?

or, maybe i need to go BVB style and tape my wrists all the way up to my elbows?
600#gorilla
Diamond

Postby Lox » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm

I actually don't use nutriex right now. It's spendy and I'm doing ok with the exercises, which I do daily.

I don't need the cuff thing yet. Hopefully, I am addressing the tendons when they are just starting to hurt.
Lox
Diamond

Postby 600#gorilla » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:36 pm

all about the maintenance program.

ugh - disciplne sucks.

injury sucks harder.
600#gorilla
Diamond

Postby RockPharmer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 pm

+1 on exercises like these (pronation/supination of the forearm). have had many a PT tell me most elbow tendonitis is related more to the lower forearm than the biceps/triceps.

i use a 5-8# dumbbell. sitting with elbow bent at 90 degrees:

- grasp end of dumbbell in palm of hand like a baseball, allowing dumbbell to hang towards ground (back of hand pointed to ceiling)
- rotate end of dumbbell upwards (rotating palm of hand up toward ceiling)
- slowly return to resting position

next:
- hold shaft of dumbbell between thumb & forefinger, allowing one end of dumbbell to rest in your palm (dumbbell hanging towards ground, palm facing ceiling)
- rotate end of dumbbell towards ceiling (rotating palm of hand towards the floor)
- slowly return to resting position

great pre-hab right along with rotator cuff/rubber band exercises
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby toivo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:21 pm

always climbing season

toivo
Corundum

Postby Cardboard_Dog » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Lox wrote:Sort of... more like the position you describe but using the negative resistance of the hammer to rotate the head from straight up to the side, then use your other hand to pick it back up. Seems to work ok, but I still get a little sore in my elbows when I climb. adsf.

dude didn't you tell me to do push-ups to counteract the elbow pain caused by climbing and pull-ups?? Soo .. no go on the push-ups?
Cardboard_Dog
Corundum

Postby 600#gorilla » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 am

climbed yesterday paying mind to not over-do it - and used ice afterward - to good effect.
600#gorilla
Diamond

Postby actionhero » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:33 pm

I broke down and bought the Perfect Push Up gizmo. Doing pushups to help prevent tendonitis was giving me tendonitis. Or at least tweaking my elbow joints pretty bad. The gizmo helps, pushups are now pain free. I'm gonna try the hammer exercises, sounds helpful as well.
actionhero
Corundum

Postby AlwaysLimping » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Just got a voodoo floss band and have been wrapping my arms up. Bicep tendonitis has been terrible last few months, havent been able to climb anywhere near my limit. Then ordered one of these things..AMAZING. freaky while doing it since your hand changes colors so fast and a lot of blood vessels get broken at the surface...but man. Shit works like a brutal deep tissue massage. Cannot recommend highly enough.
AlwaysLimping
Topaz

Postby Lox » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Sounds like you wrap the joint and climb with it on. Worth it you say in thread resurrected from 2010?!?!

Dammit, I might have to buy these... lol.
Lox
Diamond

Postby Lox » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Oh and:

Cardboard_Dog wrote:
Lox wrote:Sort of... more like the position you describe but using the negative resistance of the hammer to rotate the head from straight up to the side, then use your other hand to pick it back up. Seems to work ok, but I still get a little sore in my elbows when I climb. adsf.

dude didn't you tell me to do push-ups to counteract the elbow pain caused by climbing and pull-ups?? Soo .. no go on the push-ups?

The pushups are still good!

But it's like sometimes your joints get a rotational thing that is irritated in a way that a pushup does not address. Hence. the hammer and only rotating the weight in one direction to counter the effect of the irritation.
Lox
Diamond

Postby AlwaysLimping » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Lox wrote:Sounds like you wrap the joint and climb with it on. Worth it you say in thread resurrected from 2010?!?!

Dammit, I might have to buy these... lol.

No climbing with it...just stretching/bending/standard ROM stuff. I read some guys do light dumbbell work with it...you gotta be fast though. About 2 mins or less and your hand is totally numb, colorless, and youre freaking out trying to get it off. Peep youtube, voodoo guys have a couple videos about wrapping the elbow. Only thing I can compare it to is active release technique...except it doesnt require $80 sessions with a chiro. Works almost immediately. Finally able to climb without wanting to puke from bicep pain.
AlwaysLimping
Topaz

Postby Lox » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Very interesting videos. Just strap it on and do range of motion and extension loading until you freak out and have to remove it before you castrate your arm. How do you integrate into your training as a climber? Before the session, after or day off? Can you wrap a finger?!?!?!?

And here is something... should you only do this to really messed up joints? What happens if you do this to a normal, relatively strong joint zone?
Lox
Diamond

Postby AlwaysLimping » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Ive been doing it before climbing or on off days. Strap is too wide for a finger, not that I would have the balls to wrap such a small joint. Scary enough doing it to the elbow lol. Not sure how it would work on healthy joints..but then again im not sure how it even helps tendonitis. I just know I feel a difference almost immediately after unwrapping. Ordering directly from the company is a nightmare as well, they had me in limbo for a month before they refunded my paypal. Ended up copping one off ebay.
AlwaysLimping
Topaz

Postby Lox » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for the infoz, yo!
Lox
Diamond

Postby zirc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm

what happened?
zirc
Corundum

Postby Lox » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:13 pm

I just got the 411 on how to fuck yourself up to get healthy. Checking amazon/ebay now to see if I can get something shipped in time to actually get it.
Lox
Diamond

Postby AlwaysLimping » Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am

Got eaten alive 2 nights ago. Need to step up my deet game
AlwaysLimping
Topaz

Postby toivo » Sun May 11, 2014 10:37 pm

it is on. barely ANY bugs yet north of toronto. friction has been good. fingers are sore and hands don;t want to close. might as well be lucky.
toivo
Corundum

PreviousNext

Return to Bouldering