CARS FUCKING RULE

Re: I love CARS

Postby VTP » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:53 pm

mini cooper is a sweet little daily driver. i'd take an S for the right price...

VTP
Corundum

Postby slim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 pm

VTP wrote:mini cooper is a sweet little daily driver. i'd take an S for the right price...

+1

If I didn't drive a WRX I'd have one of these.

John Cooper Worx Edition FTW
slim
Diamond

Postby malachi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:06 pm

slim wrote:The RS on the other hand does make a phenominal track car. However it would be a pain in the ass sourcing JDM engine and drivetrain parts when you ran into the inevitable repairs. Thus the car would end up sitting in the garage more than be out on track. I would just stick to a torquey USDM drivetrain and swap it into the same body.

It's actually a lot easier/cheaper than you might think. Just need to have a shop/mechanic near you who knows what the fuck they are doing. The nice thing about it is that all the parts are used... Most of the stuff on this car is actually domestic and easy to source. The stuff that's hard to source really shouldn't break - unless you drive like an asshole.

If you haven't driven a car with the setup described here - I'd hold off talking smack about doing a USDM re-swap. Semi closed deck, treated forged crank, pistons and rods, 8000RPM redline, AVCS, 330whp... These engines were basically built for WRC homogulation purposes and it shows.

Honestly, as much as I love my STi track car, this RS is seriously tempting. If I were up for the hassle of selling the current car, I'd probably pull the trigger.
malachi
Corundum

Postby slim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm

malachi wrote:It's actually a lot easier/cheaper than you might think. Just need to have a shop/mechanic near you who knows what the fuck they are doing. The nice thing about it is that all the parts are used... Most of the stuff on this car is actually domestic and easy to source. The stuff that's hard to source really shouldn't break - unless you drive like an asshole.

If you haven't driven a car with the setup described here - I'd hold off talking smack about doing a USDM re-swap. Semi closed deck, treated forged crank, pistons and rods, 8000RPM redline, AVCS, 330whp... These engines were basically built for WRC homogulation purposes and it shows.

Honestly, as much as I love my STi track car, this RS is seriously tempting. If I were up for the hassle of selling the current car, I'd probably pull the trigger.

Im not talking about a reswap.

But yeah maybe you're right. I've RIDDEN in a an RS with a full JDM 2.0 swap complete with the ridiculously short ratio gearbox and I agree it's pretty necksnappingly exciting. I like torque though, so a 2.5 with a twinscroll gt30r and some mild cams would be ridic in my opinion. There's so many ways to go though. And they are all cool.

I've always been a fan of the 22b so an rs body with an STI swap has always been the holy grail for me as far as subarus are concerned. Light. Good looking and fast as shit.

Im not in a position to have either so whatever.
slim
Diamond

Postby malachi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 pm

If you like torque, why do you drive a Subie?
malachi
Corundum

Postby slim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Uhhh... Subarus have mad torque? Mine has 300 ft lbs from 2400 RPM. Peaks at a supposed 340 ft lbs. Fucking torque monster. Rip your head off in second gear. Just not so much fourth and fifth. Turbo Subaru motors are crazy torquey what the hell are you driving?

Plus I like to actually feel that torque translated into forward momentum as opposed to wheelspin.

Thus my love of Subies.

You?
slim
Diamond

Postby malachi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 am

No-one in their right mind drives a 4 cylinder car for the TORQUE.

And sorry, but no way your WRX has 300ft lbs at 2400. Even a fully built Cosworth 2.5 block and the fastest spooling big turbo in the world ain't gonna get you there.

If you want torque - you need displacement.
Go buy a Shelby GT500 or a big body Benz or something.
malachi
Corundum

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 am

Malachi.

First of all, a fast spooling big turbo will have less torque at 2400 rpm than a fast spooling small turbo at 2400 rpm, which is exactly what i have. And having a built block affects nothing at all as far as torque output down low, just how high of PSI you can run up high and ultimate rev limit which have no bearing on this argument. I don't want to split hairs here, but my map claims 340 peak torque at 3000 rpm. My butt dyno tells me that most of it is there at 2400 where my stg 2 WRX spools up, so I think it is reasonable to believe that there is 300 ft lbs there. Just think of your STI's power curve but spooling 700 rpm at least quicker. Im telling you. I drive my friend's STI and it is laggy as hell. Maybe thats why you are doubting? A baby TD04 like I have hits full spool on a 2.5L at 2600-2800 rpm. Your Vf XX spools a hell of a lot slower so you wont seeyour torque peak til at least 3700 or so.

Given the options in the current market for cars at $24k please name a car that has more torque. There is not one. Cept maybe a cheapo 'Stang with a live axle and no traction...

And I din't say I drive my car FOR the torque just that I LIKE the torque.

And you don't need displacement to get torque. That only applies to NON TURBO NON SUPERCHARGED motors. I really had more faith in you. Just look at WRC motors 300 hp but 550 ft lbs from 3k rpm to 8k rpm. Really. This is elementary my dear Watson.

Just sayin.

Slim
slim
Diamond

Postby STFU » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

slim, you are utterly full of shit if you think that WRX can pull 300ft/lbs of torque??

stock numbers:

Peak Horsepower: 224.5 Peak Torque: 208.7

I seriously doubt your badass "stage 2" mods can add almost 100 to the torque numbers post a dyno chart or STFU
STFU
Corundum

Postby STFU » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am

uhh, if it's not your actual car's dyno chart.. then INVALID BITCH

nm.. you removed it thx. now please stop dropping numbers
STFU
Corundum

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 am

STFU wrote:slim, you are utterly full of shit if you think that WRX can pull 300ft/lbs of torque??

stock numbers:

Peak Horsepower: 224.5 Peak Torque: 208.7

I seriously doubt your badass "stage 2" mods can add almost 100 to the torque numbers post a dyno chart or STFU

As usual you are misinformed and have no idea what you are talking about. I don't know where you got those numbers but they are wrong.

Straight from COBBS website on a low reading MUSTANG DYNO: 224.8 HP 270 FT LBS.

Keep in mind that is TO THE WHEELS. a 300hp (listed) STI puts down 229 HP on that dyno. Figured for drivetrain loss like SAE does equals well over 300 ft lbs of torque.

I can spin all four tires in first and second gear.
slim
Diamond

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 am

STFU wrote:uhh, if it's not your actual car's dyno chart.. then INVALID BITCH

Yeah cuz a different WRX with the exact same software upgrade is gonna be so different... lol. STFU's knowledge FTL.
slim
Diamond

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:30 am

slim wrote:
STFU wrote:uhh, if it's not your actual car's dyno chart.. then INVALID BITCH

Yeah cuz a different WRX with the exact same software upgrade is gonna be so different... lol. STFU's knowledge FTL.

Oh yeah and stock numbers are 230 / 235. Wrong as usual.
slim
Diamond

Postby STFU » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 am

pft, dyno your car and you can have the last word.. still calling shenanigans on your tuner's claims
STFU
Corundum

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:39 am

STFU wrote:pft, dyno your car and you can have the last word.. still calling shenanigans on your tuner's claims

Just cuz my cheap econobox can run circles around your massaged euro "sport sedan" in the twisties and in a straight line...

I don't care about proving you wrong, it's just obvious. I'm never putting my car on a dyno for any reason.
slim
Diamond

Postby malachi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:44 am

Boost: 20psi
Fuel: 93 octane
TD04 with PnP and clip
Upgraded injectors and fuel pump
Upgraded TBE and inlet

Now.... that's wheel numbers, of course (not crank).
malachi
Corundum

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am

Exactly. Probably on a mustang dyno. Thats WELL OVER 300 FT LBS all day long. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

A couple of questions for Malachi.

1) why upgrade fuel injectors for a td04 when the stock one only runs at like 80 percent duty cycle?

2) why is your spool so slow on that motor? looks like it might be a 2.0? must be with upgraded injectors (per my last question)

3) is this your car?
slim
Diamond

Postby STFU » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

slim wrote:
STFU wrote:pft, dyno your car and you can have the last word.. still calling shenanigans on your tuner's claims

Just cuz my cheap econobox can run circles around your massaged euro "sport sedan" in the twisties and in a straight line...

I don't care about proving you wrong, it's just obvious. I'm never putting my car on a dyno for any reason.

it's not obvious, claiming big engine gains without doing a comparison to your stock setup is just making shit up

^my vehicle's actual dyno, at the wheels of course
Last edited by STFU on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
STFU
Corundum

Postby malachi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

It's easy to get max torque at low RPM - as you say use a massaged TD04.
And it's easy to get more than 300 ft lbs of torque out of a stock WRX engine.
But it's really hard to get quick spool AND high torque together.

Oh... and fwiw - my car is set up for the track. So low RPM torque isn't that relevant (with the exception of maybe 2 tracks I can think of.
malachi
Corundum

Postby slim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 am

Pretty anemic! (STFU)
Last edited by slim on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
slim
Diamond

PreviousNext

Return to Bouldering