Mac Laptop help

Mac Laptop help

Postby stonefiend » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Good day,

I have a Mac powerbook G4, and stuff is starting to not work. Every function takes forever and a circular rainbow spinning thing shows up everytime I try to do anything (ie. login to stuff). It won't restart unless i force it to and it takes about 20 minutes to boot up. It also is starting to sound like a dirtbike.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Can't afford a new puter at the moment... maybe a netbook if anyone has any suggestions.
stonefiend
Corundum

Re: Mac Laptop help

Postby Shaft » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:48 pm

stonefiend wrote:Good day,

I have a Mac powerbook G4, and stuff is starting to not work. Every function takes forever and a circular rainbow spinning thing shows up everytime I try to do anything (ie. login to stuff). It won't restart unless i force it to and it takes about 20 minutes to boot up. It also is starting to sound like a dirtbike.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Can't afford a new puter at the moment... maybe a netbook if anyone has any suggestions.

I bet the hard drive bearings or step motor are effed and you are getting a shitload of disk errors. Does the sound emanate from the fan or the hard drive? Can you feel the drive vibrating? Are there USB ports on the g4's? If so, back that shit up (to an external USB) while you can.
Shaft
Granite

Postby RockPharmer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:45 am

stonefiend wrote:Anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Can't afford a new puter at the moment... maybe a netbook if anyone has any suggestions.

sorry, the only thing that fixed mine was a new macbook pro.

my old G4 powerbook was pushing 6 years and had the occassional hard drive clicks and burps, fan ran like a jet engine, and it was getting slow as ballz too. started to scare me, but it never did crap out despite the fact that the screen was slowly becoming detached from the lid. but yeah, back it up asap and get a new machine.
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby pmahnn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 am

stonefiend wrote:Can't afford a new puter at the moment

RockPharmer wrote:but yeah, back it up asap and get a new machine.
pmahnn
Diamond

Postby STFU » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 am

crapple dab
STFU
Corundum

Postby merock » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

STFU wrote:crapple dab

6 yr old computer dab.....

Have you tried resetting your permissions?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963
merock
Topaz

Postby BmfB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 am

same ish happend to me, ball was spinning, occasional clicks.... HD failing.
back up yer sh!t and get a new HD.
BmfB
Fluorite

Postby RockPharmer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:27 pm

pmahnn wrote:
stonefiend wrote:Can't afford a new puter at the moment

RockPharmer wrote:but yeah, back it up asap and get a new machine.

you shut your mouth before i shut it for ya
RockPharmer
Diamond

Postby stonefiend » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks 4 the input... may also have to do with it drinking 4 beers through it's keyboard, but that just made the dvd drive sticky as hell. usually, i let it sleep the beer off and it would work fine the next day, but the motor that spits out the dvd's is still hungover.

how do you back i-tunes and i-photos up on a usb stick? i've already put my resume's and other important documents on a stick, but don't have a external hd to load vids, music and photos onto. maybe i'll just have to buy a whole mess of kingmax 4gb usb sticks from kfc.
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby malachi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Dell Mini 10v
Easy Hackintosh solution
Less than $400
malachi
Corundum

Postby malachi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 pm

stonefiend wrote:how do you back i-tunes and i-photos up on a usb stick? i've already put my resume's and other important documents on a stick, but don't have a external hd to load vids, music and photos onto. maybe i'll just have to buy a whole mess of kingmax 4gb usb sticks from kfc.

Dropbox.com
malachi
Corundum

Postby stonefiend » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am

sick.. thx.

i let my mac sleep while i went out for a while, and now it's working ok. maybe i need a new fan? liquid nitrogen cooling system?
stonefiend
Corundum

Postby drater » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:46 pm

double click hard drive icon (wtf, no start menu, come'n jobs, get with the millenium)-->applikations-->utilities-->disk utility-->double click hard drive icon again (wtf jobs?) -->verify disk permissions

once that's done-->repair disk permissions

and buy a fucking dell laptop, crushors the mac bullshit....can't believe I used to argue the other side of this non debate.
drater
Diamond

Postby stonefiend » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 pm

I sacked up and got a macbook, cuz im used to the platform.

I t-booted my old mac and tried to use migration assistant to transfer files via firewire, but once the connection is made, it locks up. Anyone know what do do with this? I have Microsoft Office, photos, music, vids etc. i want to transfer, but apparently can't. Maybe the old mac hd is too fuct?
stonefiend
Corundum

Return to Bouldering